Provides expert advice to clients, their legal advisers and the courts on contentious business, finance and accounting matters.
Matthew is a Chartered Accountant and forensic accounting expert, specialising in dispute advisory (including expert witness and consulting expert roles), investigations and business valuations.
Matthew is part of a select group of professionals accredited by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) as a specialist in both forensic accounting (CA FA Specialist) and business valuation (CA BV Specialist).
At CA ANZ, Matthew is the current Chair of the trans-Tasman Forensic Accounting Committee, has been the Queensland forensic accounting chair since 2016, and was a member of the Queensland Public Practice Panel from 2016 to 2018.
Prior to joining McGrathNicol, Matthew led the Queensland forensic accounting practice of another chartered accounting firm and, prior to that, held roles up to director level in the forensic accounting, corporate finance and corporate recovery practices of a ‘Big 4’ firm, based in Brisbane and Perth.
Matthew has appeared as an expert witness in the Supreme Court of Queensland and the Supreme Court of Western Australia, and has prepared expert reports for litigation in those courts and in the Federal Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of New Zealand.
QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Bachelor of Commerce, The University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Laws, The University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting, CA ANZ
- Certificate IV – Government (Investigations), SIPS
- Certificate III – Investigative Services, Sydney Institute of Professional Studies (SIPS)
- Member, CA ANZ
- Forensic Accounting Specialist, CA ANZ
- Business Valuation Specialist, CA ANZ
- ANZ Forensic Accounting Chair, CA ANZ (2019-Present)
- Queensland Forensic Accounting Chair, CA ANZ (2016-Present)
- Member, Queensland Public Practice Panel, CA ANZ (2016-2018)